Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I'm so awesome I blow up my own back.


Lately in an attempt to be fully prepared and ready to go for the upcoming fall rugby season, I've been hitting the gym pretty hard. So hard in fact that I guess I just over did cause my back is ailin' something fierce today at the office. Getting some awful odd looks as I am lying on the floor, back arched, in a vague attempt to alleviate the leg numbing pain.

You see internet audience, the Toast is plagued with something called sciatica, and when it acts up, Oh Mama do I become whiny. The root of this very problem stems from my summers in college in which I spent my days working for the LeMoyne College Physical Plant. What does one do while working for the LeMoyne College Physical Plant?? Well, that's simple, anything they fucking tell you to do, all for about $6.00 an hour. Pretty much most of our days were spent removing and replacing dorm furniture all over campus. You ever lift wardrobe units and those fucking dorm couches for four weeks straight in the middle of fucking July?? Needless to say, it's kinda as much of a dang it as can be encountered.

Well, the summer before my senior year I guess I didn't lift with my knees as they say and went all back trying to haul a dresser out of a truck and things just plain didn't end well. I would continue to work for a few more days until I began to complain of my left leg going numb repeatedly throughout the day and intense pain shooting down it. After being sent to a doctor I was diagnosed with a couple herniated discs in my lower back that were pinching my sciatic nerve, thus landing me on the comp for a few weeks. Heavy drinking ensued all day, every day at our off campus house while the housemates were relegated to their summer jobs.

Fuckin' sounds awesome right. I get some time on the comp, a few painkillers for the pain, paid to stay at home and order Chinese food while I watch daytime television. Maybe lie out in the sun or sit in our beloved kiddie pool we purchased for those lazy drunken weekend afternoons. Well, those two weeks off eight years ago have not been worth the hell I've had to endure as every once in a while, depending on the severity of my recent activities, my sciatica will act up and hurt like a motherfucker! Guess what, the present is one of those times. I am stuck sitting behind my desk in my office with constant pain shooting down my left leg and aside from some stretching there is not much that can really be done about it. Hurts not so good folks. And rugby technically hasn't even started yet so I have that to look forward to. AARRRGGGHHH!!! G.D. back!!

1 comment:

DG Dunford said...

Are you lifting with your back?
Dude, of course I'm lifting with my back!