Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I think....I'm getting...the Fear.


Unfortunately have to make this one quick gang, a busy little bee here in the office and we all know that I can't blog at home. Pffft...that's my time and I ain't sharing that with no one.

Anywho, seeing Vedder solo the other night was pretty much...the shit. To be in that intimate setting, the crowd kinda hanging on his every word ; albeit there were a few idiotic shouts for requests of Pearl Jam tunes like "Corduroy". Really dude?? They play that, at like, every show. So, I was saying, it was a pretty unique experience and it'll be one that I'll take with me forever. Vedder bantered back and forth with the crowd and wanted to keep the whole feel of the evening relaxed as he played some of his own songs, a few Pearl Jam beats, some timely covers, and a couple from his kick-ass soundtrack to the movie, Into the Wild.

Also, I always kind of thought this from my many Pearl Jam shows that I have been to, seen, and heard, but Eddie was really, kinda funny. From his reactions to the crowd shouting requests and their declaring their undying love for him to trying to play off messing up random chords on the guitar, Vedder was...well just Eddie Vedder, no more, no less. You saw the human quality of him at a venue like the Warner Theatre, which held only a bit more that 1500 I reckon. He was engaging and for two and half plus hours he alone captivated the crowd with his music, beliefs, wit, and just plain telling various stories about his experiences.

I've said this before, but I don't think I'll ever get a chance to alter it, but this was probably the best show I've ever been to. And I wasn't even drunk. I did however go out to dinner with Kool-Aid before hand to a Tapas Bar that, due to Restaurant Week here in the District, featured all you can eat tapas, but that's besides the point. Point is, and always be, this show, this setting, this atmosphere, the amount of little plates that I put down prior, all culminated into an experience that was fucking, kick ass. So, with that, I leave you with the set list.

Set list: Sometimes, Trouble, Girl from North Country , Around the Bend, I am Mine, I'm Open, Man of the Hour, Setting Forth, No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Far Behind, Rise, You're True, Driftin', If you want to Sing Out Sing Out, Forever Young, Porch

1st encore: Here's to the State, Blackbird, Society (w/ Liam Finn), Throw your arms Around Me (w/ Liam Finn), No More, Arc

2nd encore: All Along the Watchtower (w/ Brendan Canty), Hard Sun (w/ Liam Finn and EJ Barnes)

4 comments:

DG Dunford said...

He played "If You Wanna Sing Out, Sing Out?"

Fuck. That's awesome.

Ashley said...

I love good shows. Totally worth the money. And what you described sounded awesome. He actaully took requests? That's f'in amazing!

Toastie said...

Vedder was outstanding. Everything about it felt as though it were right. "If you wanna sing out, sing out" he played and kept making eyes at his wife, who was backstage. Good god I love that song.

This show also pointed out the need for me to get out there...and learn how to play the banjo. Does anyone know freakin' awesome I'd become. Unparalleled awesomeness!! Awesomeness without parallels.

Ashtray said...

I'd love to see Hard Sun live. I'm jealous. Getting down there to DC to see Pearl Jam was the balls but just to see Eddie being Eddie has got to be just as good. Sometimes you forget how good a live show can be and you hate spending the money but then you get there and you realize it was well worth it.