Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Come see the battle to determine what the greatest nation on this planet is, Portugal or Mexico?

Today's blog title hails all the way from an episode of the Simpsons featuring a television commercial advertising the World Cup.

Wrecked 'em?? Damn near killed 'em!!! Not much makes me as happy as what I saw last night. Boy, did they get blowed up!!! That combined with a Sox win made little Charlie Coville believe that it was a birthday present to me. Good times, good times.

Its Primetime Baby!!! And I thought that was the surprise of the day, until................

The following was forwarded to me by a co-worker and I felt that I should pass it along to a few people that would be interested in reading it...........or anyone who has access to the internet. Here we go:

I'm starting a "club" called Baseball Fans For Fair Reporting. I want you and every baseball fan you know to be in it. Its my goal to get Barry Bonds thrown out of Baseball or, failing that, to at least raise the ire of some members of the BWA. I've created an e-mail account called: baseballfansforfairreporting@hotmail.com. On Friday I will send from this account the following e-mail to Tim Kurkjian, Senior Writer at ESPN.com. If successfull I'll send it to every writer I can find with an e-mail address. If you wish to become a signatory on said e-mail reply to that address with "I'M MAD AS HELL" in the subject line. Forward this on to as many people as you wish. Tim,Be responsible. If you're going to report on how Barry Bonds is the greatest slugger ever, report on the allegations surrounding the reason why. In the nation of baseball fandom, everyone except members of the Baseball Writer's Association seems to catch a whiff of the nauseating stench coming out of San Francisco the last 3.5 years. Have you people been given some secret mandate to retire back into your caves at night and write only about the shadow on the wall that is Barry Bonds? Must you all continue to deify him and the mysterious, age-defying manner in which he has hit 200 home runs the last 3 years or lose your jobs? The only mystery here is what is up with the BWA? It angers me. It angers me as a fan. It angers me as a human being. It angers me as someone who goes to work every single day and tries to live an honest life and believe that at least one thing is pure and irreproachable. As Peter Finch said in the 1976 film "Network," "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"Any fan with half a brain and a quarter conscience can put two and two together and be honest with themselves about the reason why Barry Bonds has done what he has done at a time in his life when he should be thinking about retirement - he cheats. He uses performance enhancing drugs. I'll grant you your apologist argument that he's innocent until proven guilty. Tales of his steroid use are admittedly, "allegations only", but since when did the media ever care about the Truth unless it made for good copy? I don't expect you all to suddenly turn "yellow," start slinging mud, and begin libeling the guy. I ask you to just be responsible - to distinguish night from day. There are two sides to this story Tim, and to your discredit, and the discredit of all those on record lauding Bonds' "achievements", I can't remember the last time I heard anything on the BALCO investigation. It wreaks of cowardice and corruption and irresponsible journalism. As a result, a generation of baseball fans will grow up believing that they saw the best ever play. They will grow up believing in a lie perpetuated by the likes of you and your colleagues and the names of Ruth, Aaron, Mays and Williams et al. will fade forgotten into history. Thanks Tim. Thanks a lot. You should hang your head in shame.

Sincerely,

Brian R. Wainwright

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tim Kurkjian is an idiot. He may know more about baseball than I do, but this Barry Bonds thing is nothing new. Whenever he talks about any player, he has to put them in the context of history, even if they have no place in such a context (obviously, Bonds belongs in the context of history). Kurkjian says such things as, "Albert Pujols is having one of the top five first five seasons of all time," or "Mark McGwire's 70 home runs marks one of the five most important events in the history of the world." He's pathological.

Side note: Bob Costas is the same way in terms of pointing to the past (as all baseball announcers are) but he is far less eager to rank any two or three year wonder in the pantheon of the game.