Monday, September 20, 2004

Hey kids, its Toastedblog, now featuring: "Choo Choo" the Hurkey-Jerky Dancer, Fartin' Rudy, and "Champion" the Drinker!!

My blog friends and colleagues, it has been too long. In the land of oven altered bread, some may ask, what's up?? Well, you've come to the right place to get some answers as myths become facts and true riddles have their meanings revealed. Plus, all the laughs of a mediocre sitcom.

After practice back on Thursday I went with a few of my teammates to our beloved sponsor for a couple beers and for some friendly chats and who did I happen to run into there??? Was it Ronnie Dobbs, our old pal Uncle Jitter, Chester, Pop'n'Taco and Bugaloo Shrimp, Chef Tony?? Actually it was Lisa Bollinger, a good friend of mine from the days at LeMoyne. She was one of the first girls I met at school that I became friends with and still actually enjoy talking to. Good people the Lisa. I even got a hug from her despite my rugby sweat. Well, turns out that she still lives in Syracuse and recently got married. Congratulations there Lisa. It was good to see you.

What was supposed to be and started out a great weekend for the Sox turned to no dice over Saturday and Sunday. This is all that will be mentioned about the Yankees taking the series. Tremendous dang it yet again.

On Saturday morning I drove out with Army Matt, one of the guys on my team, to Buffalo for a 2pm match against the South Buffalo Thugs. Their name was rather fitting as they were the chippiest and dirtiest team we've played yet this season. It was probably due to them being dominated 48 to 9 in the first match and 30 to 6 in the second. The second game featured scoring my first try of the season (equivalent of a touchdown in football). It was on a really great play if I may say so. About 15 yards away from the "try" zone with South Buffalo in possession of the ball, I tackled one of their backs before they could get the ball out of their defensive zone. I then picked up the ball and rumbled through 3 defenders to score, breaking tackles along the way. Damn I'm awesome; and pretty humble too. It was almost Shockey-esque. Afterwards a bar called Vinny's for the post-game drink up. Good wings and free beer.

6:30 AM on Sunday. Why am I up you ask; Shockey!!! That's right. Time for the little italian and I to head down to NYC for our yearly pilgrimage to see the Giants take on the Redskins and seeing that it is about a 4 hour drive from Syracuse, we had to leave early for a 1pm start. This is the second edition of this trip. Advantage; guy who has season tickets for the NY Giants. Last year's game highlight was the fact both teams were already eliminated from playoff contention. This year, they haven't played enough games yet, so we're still in the running. Drive down was good and loaded with Pearl Jam, egg mcmuffins and bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits, and good conversation. Seats, also were excellent. I get six tickets to each home game, four are grouped together in section 321 behind one of the endzones. The other two are right on the opposite goal line in section 137 in the third row. I forgot how close those seats were. I think it had been over 15 years since I sat there. We're talking three rows from the field. It was pretty amazing sitting that close. Almost as amazing as the $7 16 oz bottles of Miller Lite. Yes!! (please be aware that previous yes statement denotes sarcasm.) Couldn't have asked for a better day for it. It was beautiful outside, sitting in the sun, enjoying expensive beers, watching Giants beat the Skins; good times, good times.

No comments: