Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Kickass albums of my younger days: Live's "Throwing Copper"


The Toast loves music, dig?? Also, the Toast grew up during the grunge era of music so it should be known that I am far more experienced in picking out fucking awesome beats than about 83% of the rest of the internet. So the Toastedblog staff here has decided to go ahead and put together I nice little recurring post type thing that goes back and references all of the kick ass shit that I grew up with, took chances during my teenage years with, and still to this day rock fairly regularly. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, KICKASS ALBUMS OF MY YOUNGER DAYS.

Seems weird that I start off a segment about kickass music with a post dedicated to a Live album as the past few years and albums have not done much for the "rockin'" cred (I mean, have you listed to one of their latest "Songs of Black Mountain"?), but back in the early and mid 90's this band knew how to get shit done. And I'm not talking about songs like "Lightning Crashes", which is a little mushy for all the teen angst I was ridden with. I'm talking about rockin' tunes like "Iris" and "White, Discussion", and fucking "Stage". Even when they had songs that were about to hit you with some feelings, they kinda rocked (see "I Alone" below).

It's easier not to be wise
And measure these things by your brains
I sank into eden with you
Alone in the church by and by

I'll read to you here, save your eyes
You'll need them, your boat is at sea
Your anchor is up, youve been swept away
And the greatest of teachers wont hesitate
To leave you there, by yourself,
Chained to fate

I alone love you
I alone tempt you
I alone love you
Fear is not the end of this!

It's easier not to be great
And measure these things by your eyes
We long to be here by his resolve
Alone in the church by and by
To cradle the baby in space
And leave you there by yourslef
Chained to fate

Oh, now, we took it back too far,
Only love can save us now, all these riddles that you burn
All come runnin back to you, all these rhythms that you hide
Only love can save us now, all these riddles that you burn
Yeah, yeah, yeah


I know what you're saying: "You're kidding me right??". and it's true, a lot of their lyrics are a bit preachy and, in times, kinda corny. But in the end, these York, PA boys were able to pull it off. At times I don't know why or how really and if I had the ability to get onto youtube here at the office you can give it a ganders yourself and you too internet reader will see why. After all is said and done though, a teenaged Toast could just throw this album on and rock his "problems" away. "Throwing Copper" should and will continue to be cranked up to 11.

2 comments:

DG Dunford said...

Me and the Hoffs were out in Valatie, and we hit up a little bit of "White, Discussion" on the jukebox.

I warned you...

Toastie said...

LOOK WHERE ALL THIS TALKIN' GOT US BAY-BAAAY!!!!

(this will be what we said)


Niice Dunford...Niice.