Thursday, May 08, 2008

"I learned fried chicken at the school of hard knocks."


The Toast is an awfully busy man and because of this fact I miss a ton of shit: i.e. birthdays, frequent bat mitzfahs, proper restroom breaks, the McRib for a limited time only, and most importantly, popular music and television. Now, sometimes this isn't such a bad thing, American Idol I'm looking your way on this one. But every once in a while being a man about town with two hundred things to do will cause you to miss some of the worth whiles out there. Good thing that technology has a way to get around some of these instances.

About two weeks ago the Toast made himself a nice little purchase from Amazon; that being the first season of "30 Rock" on DVD. Now, I had experienced this show a few times before but had never really given it the proper attention that a show of this magnitude requires. We'll blame the Thursday evening rugby practices for my lack of devotion..and all the sports watching and drinking that can also take up my highly precious time. Now, from what I had seen previous to this clutch buy I had found particularly hilarious so this wasn't one of those impulse grabs that we Toasts are known for; plus it had a little bit of Tina Fey, which is never gonna hurt nerds like me.

Well, ever since this online purchase I have been sucking down episodes of "30 Rock" like dino nuggets. Presently I am two dvd's down with one to go and when I run out, its all tremendous dang it for this guy as I'm going to have to wait and watch episodes one week at a time like some sort of chump. No idea what I am going to do then. Anywho, the interactions between the head writer character Fey and the eccentric executive character Alec Baldwin are priceless and really make the show. One of my favorites includes Jack Donaghy (Baldwin) explaining to Liz Lemon (Fey) why he can't get rid of the beeper he bought from her beeper salesman boyfriend: "I can't. I'm expecting a call from 1983." Fuck it, any time Baldwin is on the screen you're most likely about to see something funny. I'll add a case in point here in a few, if I have internet at home that is.

**sidenote**I fucking hate comcast and their ability to have non-working internet service about 67% of the time.

Realistically there are so many other portions of the show that make it great, especially when this seems to be a time in which there are few comedies on television even worth my time (opinion of course). From the fact that Fey's character spends half of the episodes talking about food (sandwiches!) and getting drunk, to frequent hilarious guest spots like Will Arnett (GOB) as Donaghy's homosexual archnemesis, a surprisingly hilarious version of Tracy Morgan, multiple references to star wars which is always comedy gold for it's nerd like fan base, and that flashback humor that pops up every now and then which appeals to the no attention span side of me, this show has got it working in all the right spots. It's entertaining, smart, chock full o' hilarious writing, great supporting cast, and hits you with stuff that makes you think or the quick Donaghy one liner. It's pretty safe to say that: "I love me this show so much, I want to take "30 Rock" behind the middle school, and get it pregnant."


**Update**

To go with my Donaghy talk from earlier

2 comments:

DG Dunford said...

Hulu.com has all episodes from this year streaming free, Toast.

Jidai said...

It's a great series, one of the best on basic television, and I got very close to working for Tina Fey. In a sense I still kind of do, but not in a huge way.