Thursday, November 06, 2008

"You don't understand who they thought I was supposed to be."

Man, Alice in Chains was a good time in their day. There is something about Layne Staley's voice that just causes you to be intrigued. Combine that with a little bit of harmonizing with Jerry Cantrell, plus some of his ominous guitar, and you've got a band that was turning some serious tricks in the early 90's. It's just too bad Staley couldn't kick that nasty smack habit. Take that as a lesson kids. Only take what you can handle and ALWAYS know your dealer.

Anywho, lets get to the meat and potatoes of this thing. After a few months of postponement on my part, I am now, once again, officially living the proverbial dream, if by dream you mean rocking early 90's grunge while at work or the random zany oddball 80's tune on the way home from the gym. You see, a while back my I-Pod, which typically stores approximately 70 gigs of beats, had a little hiccup in its ability to work properly and thus all information was promptly deleted causing me to just load up what music I had stored on my laptop as I was at the office at the time of aforementioned hiccuping. What I was left with was about 10 gigs of tunes, some of the favorites I guess you can call them. Spinning the favorites, that was me.

Well, after a few months time, even the favorites can almost wear on you. I mean, I don't know about you, but I can never tire of the guitar solo in Pearl Jam's "Even Flow". That being said, you still just gotta branch out people. I shouldn't have to tell you this but there is a bit more out there than just Greatest Hits compilations. And, on cue, enter one of my most prized possessions, my portable hard drive. 320 Gigs loaded to the gills with sick beats, random shows, basically all of the music that I have collected over the past 15 years. If that thing ever goes in a fire, I'm toast. HA! Get it?! No, in all seriousness, if I lose that hard drive, I may very well drive into a bridge embankment.

So, where is all this going you may ask. Well, I finally took the time to reload my I-Pod with some new stuff; hence the Alice in Chains talk. Quite a bit to choose from, and unfortunately, still some more work to be done as I-Tunes is unable to convert some of these music files so this is going to require a bit of ripping albums to the program itself. Looks like someone has a project for the weekend. JACKPOT!! Hours spent with nonsense in front of a computer, that doesn't sound familiar at all.

Its gonna be sooo worth it though. If it is any close to the enjoyment that I'm getting out of Dirt then I'm going to rock the shit out of it!! I've got quite the mix of albums lined up for my work day today. Obviously we started with some well deserved AIC and its only going to get more random, yet awesome, from here. We've got Nirvana's Bleach, a whole mess of early Chili Peppers, and Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden to get to. And that's only the morning. Wait till the afternoon when we "wind down" with all the Jethro Tull you can handle. Oh man, I can't wait for "Minstrel in the Gallery". Sometimes I wish I worked at a radio station; I would have made a hell of a DJ.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

this doesn't have to do with your post...but SO GLAD you brought up South Park in my comments! TOTALLY watched it and loved it (especially the palin part, haha)

Unknown said...

One of my favorite AIC songs, although I'd have to say that "Rooster," mainstream as it may be, is still my favorite. (I also love "No Excuses" and "It's Over." There's never been a band with two singers with disparate voices like AIC, and may never be again. Well except Hinder.