Thursday, November 13, 2008

"YEE-HAW!!! You Are Fuckin' Literate!"


Last night the Toast here trekked to a Borders in nearby Tysons Corners, VA for a book reading of "Men With Balls" by KSK Co-Founder and Deadspin Contributor Drew Magary. For those in the know, it was just as awesome as it sounds!!!

Drew, I can't really bring myself to call him by his blogging surname of Big Daddy Drew, basically read a few passages from his book, answered some questions, met and shook hands with everyone that showed up, chatted away for about a half hour, and then hit the bar with his fans in tow. It was, just as I expected it to be; low key, cordial, hilarious, and genuine all topped off with delicious alcohol. Realistically, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Well, I guess the book reading/signing could just have easily taken place in the bar, but I don't make those decisions and I think, he may not have either. Damn you publisher who shall remain nameless, DAMN YOU (shakes fist)!

Not gonna lie to you, I had a few road sodas on the way out there to boot. A couple tasty Arrogant Bastard Pale Ales and with the drive taking close to 45 minutes due to traffic, I had to go something fierce as pulled in to park. After downing what remained of road soda no.3, I ran into Borders desperately searching for the bathroom as we still had a few moments till this little reading got underway. And who should I run into as I approached the men's room, Mr. Magary himself. We did the dance as we tried to go past one another; you know, you both go right, then go left, continue. This was followed by his simple, yet polite: "Sorry." I countered with: "Here, I'll go this way." He was taller than I thought he'd be. Whatever.

One nice point from last night's little reading was that Drew also read a post from his FKS days, which I always thought were hilarious, as they seemed to be a bit more personal; for the simple fact that...they were indeed more personal. I don't know, I guess it comes down to, writing, for or about yourself always seems to have a way different feel than the alternative, a book of dick and fart jokes.

Nevertheless, good times all around. Had a few beers, a few laughs, what-have-you's. All that and I was able to go to bed at a reasonable hour. Hot damn, that's good Wednesday!

3 comments: