Monday, April 28, 2008

"Get your patchouli stink outta my store!!"

It's no lie that one of my favorite movies of all time is "High Fidelity" and just the other day I finished reading up a copy of Nick Hornsby's novel that I recently purchased at the used book store down the street from me here in Old Town Alexandria. Well, in both book and movie our hero and main character, Rob Fleming (Gordon is his last name in the film), is the owner of a fledgling record store and to not only pass down time at work, but even time of hardship in his life, he makes top 5 lists covering a wide array of topics ranging from top 5 track one,side one singles to top 5 breakups, the latter of which pretty much becomes the plot.

As I reread the book over the next few days I couldn't help finding that I was unconsciously doing the same thing, that is, coming up with my own variety of top 5 lists and now I've decided to share with you folks. The deciding on my favorite songs part was one of the more difficult things that I have ever had to accomplish, and I graduated from private college. Keep in mind internet reader, the following are just opinion and should not be construed as fact. Also, some may end up as top 7's, just roll with it.

Top 5 Movies
- The Big Lebowski
- The Empire Strikes Back
- High Fidelity
- The Incredibles
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Top 5 Bands
- Pearl Jam
- Radiohead
- Tool
- the Clash
- the Who


Pearl Jam, "Rearviewmirror"

Top 5 Singles
- "Rearviewmirror", Pearl Jam
- "Fake Plastic Trees", Radiohead
- "The Magnificient Seven", the Clash
- "So Watcha Want", the Beastie Boys
- "Queen Bitch", David Bowie


Bill Murray. FUCK and YES!!

Top 5 Singles (Tier Two)
- "Alive", Pearl Jam
- "Push It", Tool
- "Save it For Later", the English Beat
- "Rainbow Connection", Kermit the Frog
- "Rebubula", moe.

Top 5 TV Shows
- Arrested Development
- The Simpsons
- Seinfeld
- The Muppet Show
- Looney Tunes

Top 5 Guitar Solos
- "Alive", Mike McCready of Pearl Jam
- "Comfortably Numb", David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
- "Paranoid Android", Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead
- "Stash", Trey Anastasio of Phish / "Knights of Cydonia", Matt Bellamy of Muse
- "Third Eye", Adam Jones of Tool


Muse, "Knights of Cydonia"

Top 5 Sandwiches
- turkey on seeded rye
- philly cheese steak with peppers, onions, and mushrooms
- chipwich
- pulled pork sandwich
- plain ice cream sandwich. ate one with lunch in high school almost every day. delicious.

Top 5 ladies I'd want to console me following tragic Kool-Aid loss in bus crash
- Kate Beckinsale
- Jessica Alba
- Tina Fey
- circa mid 90's Meg Ryan
- Liz Phair


Hey!! Kool-Aid wears glasses sometimes too!!

Top 5 Guilty Pleasures
- peanut m&m's
- Huey Lewis and the News (closely followed by George Michael)
- "You've Got Mail"
- Chick Rock (i.e. Liz Phair, PJ Harvey, the Yeah,Yeah,Yeahs)
- dancing when just happy or intoxicated/car singing.


oh..and of course, a little David Lee Roth. I love when the fireworks go off, around the 3:36 mark.

Top 5 Sports Heroes
- Ray Bourque (favorite hockey player of all time)
- Cam Neely (went as far to model my style of play after him)
- Trot Nixon (the original Boston Dirt Dog)
- Mark Bavaro (Giants fans know what I'm talkin' about)
- Phil Simms (88.3 completion percentage in Super Bowl XXI)


Cam Neely

Top 5 Careers
- professional ice hockey player: fuck that'd be awesome. I'd be in great shape, making good bank, not as high profile as other atheletes, maybe even endorse a Canadian beer and we all know that Canadian beer is like moonshine. plus hockey is greatest sport out there.

- paleontologist: what can I say, I like me some dinosaurs.

- music journalist: I like to write, I like beats, why not get paid for both. but not reviewing and listening to the majority of crap out there today. be kinda like Rob in regards to this one.

- own either my own music or book store and having it be successful: Get to hang out and listen to my favorite tunes all day long and its something that I think I would be really good at. Let's face it, I'm a people person and I belong interacting with others. plus, I'd be working for myself and not someone else. oh...and this..suck it online purchasing!!

- own my own bar: see above...but with booze.

1 comment:

Jidai said...

That's a great comprehensive list right there. I wish I could list my top 5 of anything. :P