Monday, April 27, 2009

Toast runs 10K in 90 degree heat, surprisingly is still alive

Now, I don't have a problem running great distances, never really have. I just kind of keep chugging away at a steady clip. Not gonna blow anyone away, but certainly not slacking either. Just good enough to not get noticed. I guess you can say that about all sports I play, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

In any event, yesterday morning I was greeted with my alarm at 6AM to take out Tessie just before I hopped in the volkswagen to head up ol' Maryland way to take part in Pike's Peek, a local 10K. I've run a few 10K's in my day, few 15's as well. They're nothing to be afraid of, actually they're kinda fun as opposed to their bitchy little brother the 5K. I hate those, you don't get to spend any real time enjoying the race as its short enough so anyone who's anyone will sign up to run a few miles without properly training for it. This makes for a difficult run as you have to get through the gauntlet of walkers that are out there. But a 10K, that'll scare a few more people away. I mean, that's damn near 6+ miles. Plus, you can run somewhat leisurely unless you want to be a dick about it and try to blow people out of the water. Basically, what I am trying to get across is this; it's an easy run if you're looking for something around a 9 minute mile clip that you can kinda relax, enjoy, listen to your tunes, and get some free eats afterwards as you just paid close to $40 to run. Congrats. Why don't you just pat yourself on the back??

Anywho, the downside of all of this is it can get pretty G.D. hot down here in the District. So, even though these races usually get underway early in the morning (circa 8am) by the time you're running that sun is getting hot something fierce. Throw in the fact that you're running on some asphalt road with fresh blacktop and little to no shade and that will make things a little more interesting to say the least. Yesterday, it was something like 89 degrees when the race began and it got so bad that those throwing this little shindig ran out of water. Well..isn't that just the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas?? They say its not so much the heat but the humidity. Those people are assholes!! Hot is for the birds, whatever hot it is. (except hot wings, hot sauce, hot turkey sandwich, Andy Capp's Hot Fries, hot ladies, spicy hot mustard)

Why am I talking about all of this?? Does this blog have any merit left?? The answer to both of those questions is simple enough, who knows?? I just wanted to tell you how badass I am. Yup, paying a good chunk of change to wake up ass early on a Sunday and run to damn near heat exhaustion just plain ol' screams don't mess with this guy. Idiot.

The best part was that I went out for a few pops afterwards as to seal the deal and fully destroy any attempt to accomplish things on my Sunday. You want blast off time?? Why don't you go run a couple hard miles in extreme heat, limit your water intake, then polish off a couple tall boys at "insert bar here". You'll forget all your woes and pass out watching playoff hockey in various positions in no time.

3 comments:

Ashtray said...

I want all positions!

DG Dunford said...

I'm running a 5K on June 6. Don't hate on the 5K, it's a good stepping stone from this pit I called morbid obesity.

Toastie said...

Dunford, if I could respond to your blog right now (stupid at-work internet filters) I would write that I love you.

I also love anytime Chris Tucker screams like a girl in that movie. Ah..The Fifth Element, thou art so underrated. Chuck knows what I'm talking 'bout.