Thursday, September 11, 2008

I'll learn you some mean QuickBooks let me tell you.

So...the past few days here at the office have been a whirlwind of activity as I have been doing what we Toasts do best; and that is, simply put, kickin' ass and takin' names. We've recently had a few folks come here to "Corporate" this week and, as per my job discription, I had to go out there and wow them with my mastery of my company's processes and various systems. Train them if you will.

Now, with the recent departure of one of our team members here, my position has brought to the Toast a few new roles, and a few opportunitites for advancement if these things go well. One of these new roles is to become our teams foremost QuickBooks and Accounting guru as our recent departure was pretty much heading that campaign as he was a former CPA. Well, I have had some experience with QuickBooks before (I knew what it was) and I can balance a checkbook (I am horrible with money). Most importantly, the Toast is a go-getter so when presented this opportunity to add on to my extremely vital role here as a Corporate stooge I took it without hesitation.

I now hold in my possession a solid two weeks of QuickBooks knowledge and this past Tuesday was my first opportunity to train franchisees and their office managers in the program and how it is to be used with our processes and systems. Not gonna lie to you my internet readers, I BOMBED!!!!! It's amazing that something you can seem to have a firm grasp of and can almost do blindfolded at your desk can instantly turn into a foreign language when you are alone in a conference room with a group of strangers they're hanging on your every word as this is going to be their life, their business.

Now, I know hindsight is 20-20 and looking back I can pick up on so many things I did wrong and what I won't do again as basically I let the training presentation get out of my hands and before I knew what happened it turned into a bunch of guys sitting around my laptop looking at the projected computer image on the wall wondering why we couldn't transfer invoices uttering phrases like: "Here try this" or "See what happens when you look at the chart of accounts under the reports tab". As exciting as that lingo sounds, its surprising how it can get you flustered when things just aren't going your way. When my long ass day was finished I couldn't wait to just drink a beer on my front steps so I could put this garbage day behind me.

Following a conversation with my boss yesterday I did feel much better about how my first run with this turned out. I also got to meet up with this group before they headed out as well, just to go through everything one more time and address any questions. You see folks, when things don't go as planned with me (as they can do), I tend to beat myself up for it, pretty bad sometimes, and Tuesday's first QB run was definitely one of those times. My boss, (who's a fellow athelete) put it in terms that I can relate to and we discussed how I just need to not worry about it, go back out there, and do it again. To learn from mistakes and take what you can from them. When you are in the wrong position on the ice and allow a goal to be scored because your man was uncovered, you remember that and next time you are in a similar sitiation, you know what to do and can prevent it. Not back covering when the scrum half boots it 40 meters over the heads of your back line, you remember that scenario and do your best to be ready for it when it happens later in the second half. You know what internet audience, G.D. QuickBooks is the same thing, and the Toast, well he'll be fuckin' ready!!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Good luck Toast! Go kill em!