Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Greek Food = The Bomb!!

This past Friday night Kool-Aid and I hit up a Greek Restaurant a few blocks away from us down King Street in Old Town Alexandria called Taverna Cretekou. Let me tell you, the shit was the bomb kid!! Now, every once in a while, Kool-Aid, who is the cheese to my macaroni, likes to go out and do something, well not quite fancy but at least out and about, and she has been riding me HARD about checking out this place. As a man who lives by the following code: "whatever my Kool-Aid wants, my Kool-Aid gets", I was more than happy to oblige.

For starters, just to get you all in the know, the Toast likes to drive fast and take chances when it comes to eating/eating out. Not wild and crazy times mind you, but I'm not just eating grilled chicken or going to the Olive Garden every night out either. Nothing against the Olive Garden, but there's a time and place for that. When it comes to your hot trophy girlfriend, who happens to be a bit of an adventurer, you just gotta roll the dice.

Now, my familiarity with Greek Cuisine isn't up to par, especially when compared to the deliciousness I can prepare on a whim at home. Basically, I just don't know too much about it. Some yogurt sauce gets put on stuff. They like lamb. I've eaten Baklava a few times. That Greek-Fest we went to back in the day had some good ka-babs (souvlaki). Realistically, that is pretty much it. Kool-Aid on the other hand, well she knows her shit following a good amount of time spent in Greece last summer on a post Grad School graduation va-ca. Ask her about "Donkey", I'm sure she'll show you a pic or two.

After last Friday's little outing, the Toast can safely say that Greek food = the bomb!! (Hey..where have I read that before??) For dinner I decided to kinda push the envelope. Rather than getting something predominantly lamb related (Arni to those crazy Greeks), I went ahead and ordered some restaurant special sampler of sorts. After a bit of research, I can now officially tell you what came on my plate.

Toast's order:

- Moussaka: some sort of lasagna looking eggplant thing, thumbs up!!
- Pastitsio: similar to the above, sans eggplant, same result in my tummy though
- Dolmades: Not a fan of the mint, Kool-Aid finishes this one
- Soudsoukakia: I'm a-gonna make these sometime soon.
- Spanakopita: Fucking Delicious!! Spinach, pastry & cheese alright by me!

Not gonna lie to you internet audience, I ate goooood. You know, the no room for dessert, in bed before midnight cause standing up makes you dizzy kinda good. All said and done though, the Toast is currently on the lookout for a good Mediterranean/Greek Cookbook to further enhance my culinary skills. Plus, this will instantly pay off with the Mrs. I'm so gonna get me some mean back rubs for this decision, its not even fair.

3 comments:

DG Dunford said...

Avgemolono soup. I'm probably misspelling it, and it is lemony, but hot damn.

Toastie said...

see, this guy knows what I'm talkin' about!

tythis said...

he has a good point designer replica luggage click for source Goyard Dolabuy find more info dolabuy louis vuitton