Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"Stay away now, don't - don't come in here. Whatever you hear, stay away! John Doe has the upper hand!"

Up until last night I had forgotten how truly fucking awesome the movie Se7en actually is. My post work plan yesterday included going to the gym, making something to eat, and watching the Sox take on the Angels. This was only partially achieved.

I did make it to the gym and I did go ahead and make myself something to eat. I even stopped off at a local fine beer store for some pretty sweet Flying Dog Kerebos Tripel to enjoy simultaneously with my homemade buffalo chicken wing nachos and, of course, the game. However, when all was said and the tedious nacho preparation was done I came to find that the Sox were already down 4 runs by about the top of the fourth and rather than sit through and watch their second loss in a row (fourth out of their last five games), I opted to see what other forms of entertainment the ol' digital cable would provide me.

Quickly I headed over to one of the very many movie channels comcast provides me, for a nominal fee of course. Upon first glance, I was set to watch another Toast favorite, Hot Fuzz. While the opening credits began to roll on in I used the incredibly clever guide feature on my giant remote to just see what else I could find, as I have seen Hot Fuzz numerous times over the past year.

"Hmm...Jaws, that's a good one. Dammit, its on a channel that has commercials. Fuck that!! What else we got here??"

And this when I ran into Se7en, just as the opening credits had ended their run. Let's give it a go I thought. I had my nachos, I had my wonderfully chilled and potent beer (8.5% y'all) and since this was one of the two DVDs I purchased when I decided to reward myself for graduating college and getting my first REAL job way back in '01 with a DVD player, it was safe to say that it had been quite a while since this flick graced my presence. Ladies and gentlemen, I have found my entertainment for the evening!!

Well, it's still fucking awesome!!! It had to have been at least 5 or 6 years since I really watched this flick and while I wasn't met with the same original surprise I had when I first watched it over ten years ago, it still sent shivers down my spine, grossed me out on occasion, all while just being a fucking awesome, intelligent, original, and psychotic story. Toastedblog faithful, if you have a spare few hours some night, just re watch it, for Morgan Freeman's performance alone. And if his quiet, yet strong and high depth performance doesn't do it for you; you still have John Doe (a brilliant Kevin Spacey) to deal with, who makes the movie ten times more wicked awesome with only the ten minutes of screen time he gets. And the ending...oh the ending. It really isn't a huge twist or anything as there is some foreshadowing throughout the film, but its just so great, despite what some may say about it.

Now, I don't really expect you to check the movie out just because I said so here today. I'm just here giving a movie that I had kinda forgotten about over the past few years two very enthusiastic thumbs up. That's it...I'm out.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Se7en is amazing because of Kevin Spacey...ONE OF THE BEST ACTORS EVER!!!

Ok, I'll calm down now.