Tuesday, October 07, 2008

"When you've found something so good it's hard to focus on what's right"

Dear the Frames,

If it's in your power please decide to come back to the East Cost, preferably the Northern VA/Washington DC area, you know, just to do a couple shows. I have recently come in possession of a live show from back in April '07 that was done at a local venue here in the District called the 9:30 Club that was made available through NPR and by god is that a damn fine beat you boys are producing.

Now, your studio stuff is something I have enjoyed for a while and word on the street was that your music should be experienced live because, well for lack of a better term, your shows were just that bad ass. After giving this show the once over I have found myself repeatedly going back to soak it in, and this is from a guy that is out there takin' it to the streets; a man about town who's busy driving fast and taking chances who often doesn't have the time to sit around and listen to two and a half hour concerts with multiple sets.

In this instance however, I have made the time. Now, all that I am asking is that you make the time, just like I have, to stop by and maybe just hit me up for a little bit. I didn't live down in D.C. back in April of '07 and to be honest, it'd be pretty sweet if you would. I realize that you all probably have families and you're away from your homes across the pond in Ireland but I have a family too and my girlfriend is currently none to happy with me, due to a slight misapplication of my time (Oh, don't worry, this one has nothing to do with you, it's all me). Think of what will happen if I continue to devote so much of my time your way. Loss of job?? Loss of significant other?? Drop 20 lbs and wake up three months later to find that I am working in a record store?? Hmm, that last one wouldn't be so bad, at least the record store part, but let's make it 10 lbs, I'm pretty happy with my current frame.

Ok, now I am starting to miss the mark. Anywho, I end now just reinstating how much I would enjoy it if you were to drop by the East Coast here in the states, just for a little while. I'm sure quite a few others would appreciate it to boot as I am telling all the "real" music fans that I encounter about you fellas. Besides, I think there are others that are just like me as well, huge fans of a little known band state side that both love a good show and a fucking damn good time. Just think about it is all.

Regards,

Toastmaster General

P.S. The song "Finally" is the mad note!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I love going to shows...I haven't been to enough in my life! That's depressing. Must fix that.

I like the sound of these guys. Rock shows are the best! Although they seem a little mellow.

Toastie said...

Yes...I suggest you get on that right away!! A must do, top of the list. Although, make sure that the ones that you are going to are worth while. If I remember correctly, you be a Foo's fan so it appears as though you have a good head on your shoulders.

The Frames are a bit mellow. I just love how their songs build and build and then just blow up. But don't let the mellowness fool you there Ashley, mellow can be fucking kick ass too. I'd write that one down.

Unknown said...

I drove about 3 hours to see The Frames in Massachussetts a couple months ago and Glen Hansard just awesome. He has such a great rapport with the crowd. One gripe: he tends to explain every song before he sings it, like, "This song is about what happens when you are sad because the economy is bad." I kinda like to interpret for myself but it's a minor complaint.

And, I didn't know he was the red-headed sax player in "The Commitments" who pretended his sax was Kim Basinger's breast.

Toastie said...

Billy, I know what you mean and although it is a small complaint, I am right there with you buddy.

That being said, I am really digging them of late. I guess it tells you how old I'm getting. Why, there's no distortion in that guitar at all?!?!