Friday, October 10, 2008

It's not really Happening...at all.

With little or no sports on a few days ago and with the Toast still nursing somewhat of a cold due to my white water rafting while sick last weekend I decided to go ahead and rent a few movies for my at home in jammies enjoyment. One in particular that I was kinda excited to break into was the new Shyamalan flick "The Happening" as the Toast here can get carried away with those creepy types and I'm a bit of a Shyamalan fan. This one here though....eh...it's not so good.

Now, while I'm not saying pump the breaks when you think about picking it up, what I AM saying is that Shyamalan better wow me with something right quick. He seems to be filled with clever ideas and the first half of "The Happening" was pretty kick ass. It's just the finished product that sort of lets you down and it has been this way with me over the course of his last few films.

It used to be that if I didn't see a Shyamalan film in theatres I would go out and buy it once it became available on the DVD. After I bought "Lady in the Water" without watching it I vowed to never make that mistake again. I am certainly glad I did not do that with this latest one. But I'll let you all be the judge of it as I certainly won't discredit the film or go well out of my way in preventing you all from watching it. Hell, I mean I even liked it myself; it just needs a bit more and hopefully Shyamalan is beginning to see why. Fucking "The Sixth Sense", "Signs", and "Unbreakable" were pretty kick ass though. Even "The Village" was damn sweet (I really liked it even though you know the proverbial Shyamalan twist right off the bat). I'd love to his films go back to that kind of quality.

Ooh ooh..and rent "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". It ended up being a good flick plus it gave me a completely different take on Mila Kunis. Dang Dang!!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

The Happening was indeed horrible. Like, REALLY horrible. But yeah, you know that.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall made me happy!! I love the Pyschiatrist song, my favorite!

Toastie said...

I never was a huge Jason Segel fan, I mean, I always thought he was ok but seeing him in "Sarah Marshall" made me think otherwise. Plus, he's bringing back the muppets, that'll start a fire in your belly, I don't care who you are.

I thought the movie also did a good job in pointing out what you don't notice or are oblivious to when you are in a relationship that just isn't right and as you find one that fits, you become aware of all the reasons which caused your previous relationship to end, for better or worse. I don't know, it just got me thinking and I was able to relate is all.