Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"I like the lumberjack look bro."

I am glad to say that I live in a city that is basically just a collective grouping of fucktards looking to one-up each other. Unfortunately, when Kool-Aid and I moved down here, this little nugget of information was not in the brochure.

The district is full of some of the more pretentious folk that I have ever encountered. Everyone here has their own agenda and if you are not a part of it, or the sort that wears a fucking blazer on the weekend, well, you best look the fuck out cause that guy has some serious shit to get to and your courteous and all around pleasant demeanor certainly isn't helping. Dammit, I knew something was amiss when I saw so many scarfs being worn in the springtime; I....I just couldn't react.

The Toast was at a party this weekend and the following was uttered to me by collective bags of douche upon my meeting some apparent friends of friends:

"I like the lumberjack look bro."

I was wearing a flannel, nothing more, nothing less. I don't have a beard, nor an axe. No blue ox named Blue or a hat with the flaps to keep my ears warm. I just was wearing a flannel, with a Who t-shirt underneath it. Not even the classic red and black patterned flannel that one would associate with a lumberjack. Perhaps it should have been tucked in, or ironed?? Who knows really? What I want to figure out is, why is this out of the ordinary here??

What I've come to wonder is this, am I the only one who likes to be comfortable? I like to ROCK a bit so I know what I'm doing day to day, but simply put, I really don't care how I am dressed when I go out. I mean, I have a sense of style, but it is my own. I am not walking to the beat of someone else's drum and that is what I get from so many people here. They are so worked up on appearances that it is all they think about. I HAVE to get in to the best club. I HAVE to fucking dress to the nines all of the time, even at a random house party. I HAVE to wear my $200 jeans and they HAVE to be ironed when I do so. Better yet, I HAVE to wear the ones that have the strategically placed rips and imperfections. My jeans only start ripping away from hard work or the stress at the seams from all this ass.

I guess this is what I get for living in a city where so many people are chasing the dream, being a fucking ignorant pre-madonna whose shit don't stink with a wad of cash and a lexus hybrid. I mean, I recently saw a kid, had to be fresh out of college, walking down the street on a Friday night with his ladyfriend, smoking a pipe. WTF?? The kid looked like Sherlock Holmes. Where the fuck am I??? I mean, really, where am I??

On that note, I gotta run. I think my blackberry is ringing.

5 comments:

Willie Moe said...

Maybe you should have asked that guy for directions to the pipe store? A sweet corncob pipe to compliment that flannel my friend? Giddy to the up!

Ashley said...

hmmm...you think I might have the same problem growing up in southern california...but even my "trendy" area is more laid back than where you live! We opt for flip-flops more often than not.

Are you going to stay in that city, then?

Anonymous said...

You illustrate well why I love living in the 'burbs here. Even though that means a 2-hour commute. I must laugh though, the peeps calling you a lumberjack say that I live in "Fred-neck." I'm ok with that, I pay $4 for a pint of good beer in a bar that I didn't pay $20 to get into!

Toastie said...

One of my favorite things to do is to walk down the street on a weekend morning in my jammy pants for coffee and a bagel sammich of some sort. There is no public jammy walking here.

And Ashley, not sure if I'd move to a new city. I am so not trendy and there are many other places that would definitely make me far happier (and much more on the cheap too). Don't get me wrong, I'd love to make a move, to no ends, but I also really enjoy my job. Gonna stay down here a bit but have my eye on a few things. For example, would LOVE to live in Chigago (Chicago to some, Chigago to me, and for good reason). Boston is high up on the list, some thoughts out west but not sure how/when that'd ever come to fruition. On that note, let me know what rent is like out there and what your town's signiture food is?? Both these items are very important when determining where to move. I knew I should have seen things like this coming when I my rent had so many zeros on it.

'Sppose I gotta keep on truckin'.

Toastie said...

I like Fredrick too Kerry. I just don't think I can make the daily commute, especially when there are rumors of dog buying afoot.