Friday, June 12, 2009

Toastmaster General: Man of Intrigue, Lover, Rocker, Dog Wrangler, Captain of Hilarity, Dangerous Liason, Writer???

The Toast is a man of many and yet, very few talents. For example, I can recite lyrics to songs that I haven't heard in years yet I cannot for the life of me do the running man. So it goes. For what it's worth I tend to be the creative sort that may not constantly be in search of new opportunities to put it on display as the day to day can keep me quite content but every so often I just find myself getting disgusted with a few things. I'll tell myself: "Self...it's about time for a change." Then said change either occurs or just falls wayside to the demands of being all of those individuals you see in this here post's title.

But what this that's stuck at the end of that descriptive Toastmaster list? Writer it done say. I know what you may be thinking: "You count this blog as writing Toast?? For shame; it's just a bunch of nonsense with some video clips. It's like one of those 150 episode clip shows for chrissakes." Well, I'd consider you correct in making that observation, if it were true. No, the writing that I am more referring to has to do with real book type stuff. You know, high class stuff. Editing and everything.

A long time goal of mine has been to write a children's book. Now, the problem with following your dreams is that often the result is to get sick of following them and you make the conscious decision to hook up with them later. This is something that I know oh too well. Just the other day I was sitting in my office and I yet again came to the realization that I am indeed in a rut in my life. Now, this has nothing to do with my life at home mind you, that is AMAZING. I have a wonderful lass and I'm not even talking about Tessie Girl yet. I have the Kool-Aid that I intend to spend the rest of my life with. I live comfortably. Travel a bit. Get outdoors and am quite active. Look good in pants. A kick ass pup. I own all of Arrested Development on DVD. I go to shows (Vedder, Umphreys, Wilco, Moe., and Tool lined up over the upcoming weeks). I make fucking amazing eats. Happy right???

No, this deal is all on the work side. I like what I do, you might even say that I enjoy it...at times that is. I mean, I interact with some amazing individuals and I am learning quite a bit every day, which can't hurt right?? However, I am finding more and more that what I do and what I am going to keep doing for the time being seriously puts a damper on one thing that really revs my engine...my creativity. Now I suppose I can get creative in the realm of office politics or how I teach the epic wonder that is Quickbooks and it's integration with my company's various programs and systems but let's be honest, how the hell are you going to effectively jazz that shit up?? And Politics...not for me. So, where does this leave me?? How do I find an outlet for this "supposed" creativity that is not only invigorating but also productive?? How do I get out of this rut?? Then, on a rainy ass Tuesday afternoon in my office the light bulb went off.

Screw waiting to hook up with my dreams when the time is right. I will write and write I shall. I'm tired of saying that I've always wanted to get into Children's Literature. I'm sick of using the excuses. "Oh, I don't have enough time to write" or "I don't have the right degree to get into that, stupid B.A. in History." No, I am going to use some of this time that I do inevitably have for good use, true use. Since that Tuesday afternoon I have started to fill up a few pages of a notebook that I keep at my desk with some ideas, brainstorming if you will and I feel as though I have a puh-RET-tee good idea in terms of my books topic. I may even have a title for this flash of Toastie creativity. Now I just have to keep fanning the flames to get this fire really going.

I'm not expecting this thing to be done overnight and obviously I still have a few things to work out but I tell you this, I am awfully excited about it. Rejuvenated even. Where I go from here is still wide open but the fact that I am doing something about it surely is a step in the right direction. All that's left is for me to decide on now is whether I want deep dish or thin crust. In all seriousness I feel like I am standing at the foothill of a cliff whose top that leads to immense opportunity and all its going to take for me to get to the top is a little elbow grease, determination, some luck, and, of course, my own somewhat eccentric yet highly personal flair. You know what internet audience, it is just so goddamn exciting.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

"Look good in pants."

^
^
haha.

Good for you Toast. It's great when you reach beyond the everyday, to do something unique. That rut you're feeling at your job might mean that it's not the right job for you, that it's not challenging enough. As a believer in God, I believe he has a place for all of us, and when we find that place, it feels right (like finding the right lass, which you have).

Children's books sounds fantastic! I'm interested in making Children's books as well :) We have that in common.

So, pat on the back, for not becoming burnt toast, but keeping things fresh!

Ashley said...

P.S. PUT UP PICTURES OF IRELAND!!!!