Friday, March 28, 2008

At Least It's Not Emo.

Most people out there know that I loooove to rock. Last night while watching Xavier keep my bracket alive by defeating West Virginia I was rocking sump'in sweet in the background, that being a nice little i-pod mix from the White Stipes that I went ahead and created yesterday during lunch (if you play your cards right internet audience I could very well share it with you as we close out this post). What was I doing before basketball you ask, well I was rocking to the highest power while I was completing my man-tastic workout at the gym. All edge I tells ya. Hell, my mantasticalness is so potent half of you ladies that be reading the nonsense that I kick just got pregnant. Computers sure are doing a lot these days.

However, for all the rockin' that the Toast is capable of, there is a more subdued and tender side to the Toast and his musical tastes. Call it wuss rock, call it indie. Go ahead and call it art rock if you will, although that is more of a "Zappa term". Whether it be dubbed acoustic folk, chick rock, folk rock, or just straight up singer/songwriter with heart-felt lyrics rock my eclectic musical tastes sometimes will lead me there. I've often been accused by current best buddy and former college roommate "Little" Charlie Coville that I have indeed lost my edge. What about you internet audience?? How do you feel about this matter?? Have I....Mayor McToast...Toastmaster General....Casey to those in the know, lost my edge??

Whatever!! I have nothing to prove to you, internet reader!! So I enjoy "The Shins" from time to time, big deal. Who cares if I dig bands such as "The Decemberists", I kinda like it. So what if I want to go ahead and listen to PJ Harvey all while sitting alone in the candle light with my thoughts, dreams and emotions (check out "Grow Grow Grow" and "Silence" off of White Chalk....very nice). Go to hell Little Crapper, I still have edge. I was just rockin' some bad ass "Queens of the Stone Age" just a little while back as I was perusing expiring insurance policies within the next 30 days and nothing screams edge having like a post due general liability insurance policy, and QOTSA.

So what exactly is the meaning of all of this you ask. Well, I sat here thinking to myself about my edge, lack-there-of, and these non-rocking beats I sometimes check out as I was giving another solid listen to the soundtrack to the movie Once . Pretty much doing nothing but being stationary at my desk in my office after lunch and just debating what task to tackle next or do I just go home at 3:30. About four months ago Kool-Aid and I picked up Once and if you haven't checked out the movie and you aren't concerned with whether or not your former college roommate thinks you still have that hard rocking edge full time or not I fully suggest giving it a look see. More importantly, do yourself a favor and pick up the soundtrack as you'll want to have the ability to listen to Glen Hansard following your initial viewing (I particularly enjoy "Say it to Me Now", "Leave", and "Trying to Pull Myself Away"). Also, go out and get yourself some music from "The Frames"; the nice little Irish band of which Mr. Hansard hails (Dance the Devil is the tops). The amount of energy and emotion Hansard puts into his music is definitely something that should be experienced.

*And for those paying attention, Toastmaster General's White Stripes Mix*

- "Blue Orchid" Get Behind Me Satan
- "Hello Operator" De Stijl
- "Black Math" Elephant
- "Astro" The White Stripes
- "Why Can't You Be Nicer To Me?" De Stijl
- "Expecting" White Blood Cells
- "There's No Home For You Here" Elephant
- "A Martyr For My Love For You" Icky Thump
- "Apple Blossom" De Stijl (the tops I tells ya!!)
- "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" White Blood Cells
- "Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine" Elephant
- "Denial Twist" Get Behind Me Satan
- "Stop Breaking Down" The White Stripes
- "I'm Bound to Pack It Up" De Stijl
- "Take Take Take" Get Behind Me Satan
- "Little Cream Soda" Icky Thump
- "Hypnotise" Elephant
- "Let's Build a Home" De Stijl
- "Fell in Love With a Girl" White Blood Cells
- "Catch Hell Blues" Icky Thump
- "Seven Nation Army" Elephant
- "Little Bird" De Stijl (one can sing awesome guitar sounds with this beat)

Its Van Damme Friday people; make some noise!!

No comments: