Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Kookin' der yummee-yummers!

And so it begins, countdown to the Super Bowl toastedblog faithful. However, more importantly, the end of Phelps reign of culinary supreme amongst my friends. Chumps, you shall finally have your comeuppance!!! Now that I am all riled up my internet readers, its time to get into this anger ridden saga.

Phelps, or as I refer to him, Chumps is a cooking machine, a tasty food connoisseur, and my sworn nemesis. For the years that we have known him Chumps here will whip up some delicious concoction of bacon and cheese while we sit around drinking and watching something as mindless as Nascar Sunday (Cue the Pizza Box), or the Surreal Life and it will satisfy you to the core. Phelpsy here knows exactly what type of cheese will go perfectly with a specific type of meat to form one super sandwich (the McPhelps sounds terrific), is constantly trying to cook new and interesting things for others enjoyment, has highly detailed knowledge of the many different combinations of toppings that belong on a deep dish pizza, and has ruined every attempt that I have made in getting some toasted delicacies out there and enjoyed!!


First we have, der chocolate, und de moose. Yum yum yum with der chocolate. Fix de morkin, yoo betcha! Posted by Hello

Ever since my parents split up when I was in Seventh grade I have spent much more time with my father than my mother, and he has taught me a few things. Often, he has talked to me about his lady conquests (weird), know when to say when, be helpful towards my friends because at times you will need their help, to always tip your bartender (in my case, especially Rachel), the fact that Jethro Tull rules, and the standard "give it your best". However, another important little tidbit that Pops Cregg has always thrown my way, the ability to cook and the importance of knowing how to do so. Over the years, Big John has shown me the light. Taught me how to make everything from pasta to how to get a steak good and medium rare. The delicious meals that he learned from Grandma Toast he passed onto me, even the ability to bake world famous cookies. I am very proud of the fact that I have developed a talent and real enjoyment for cooking, however, this knowledge is seldom put to use, other than cooking for myself and a lucky lady....dang!! So, I have since turned to my friends in this situation, and this is when Phelps comes in and steals my thunder. Dammit Chumps!!

The past few Super Bowls that I have spent with my friends have involved a fair deal of eating and drinking, as well they should. We all get together and have a grand ol' time, and the game is seldom important. The Super Bowl is like a holiday, and the day after should be a standard holiday as well cause that's a rough Monday. Anywho, us Chigago boys and gals will gather at a central locale, started at 751 Lancaster and has progressed all the way from Pats, Billy's old place, and finally the last few years at Teall and the current realm of Sir Shannon (that's right Bill, apparently you've been knighted, k-nig-hits!). I think, what a great time to showcase my hidden talent of making delicious feasts, I'll start prepping for chili. Then, are you ready for the....WOO..the hurricane, and Phelps comes swooping in with cheesy bacon biscuits, shrimp quesadillas, delicious raspberry torte thing with brie and no one is eating my tasty casey-dillas, cause we're too full on Phelpsy's spread. "But the chili is almost done, you have to let it simmer so it can truly mix togeth.....what?......Yeah, I can get you another beer Javen". Tremendous dang it!!!

Well not this year. There's going to be a few changes around here. Well that, and Chumps is out of town in Champlain, Illinois playing Doctor. Oohh, I'm Phelps, I'm in med school and on internships. Now's when I make my move. Phelps is still planning on joining us to watch his beloved Chump Eagles play in the Super Bowl, but he's going to be coming from Champlain and hence, there will be no time to produce delicious Phelps treats. Is our Super Bowl gathering lost?? How will we eat?? Order pizza, that'll take forever! Well, don't fret boys, the food that is overlooked via Chumps and his work is about to shine!!! I have taken the last few days and prepared a list of food that I need and shall start getting it done!!! An eclectic menu of delicious and cheese topped foods more exciting than a donkey chokin' on a waffle, definitely more exciting than Phelps baked products. After all of this rambling, I better not screw up. I can always just bring about 7 bags of nuggets and a chicken wing pizza.

**Key sidenote, Phelps really does make some great eats**

Thursday and Friday night I will finish preparing due to an immensely popular Toasted Saturday in which I have a rugby get together around 1pm and the SU v. Notre Dame game at 9pm. Our team is having a bowling tournament, to raise some money, see each other for a little bit, have some beers, have some more beers, and attempt to bowl, and then attempt to drive home. I have already asked a Toastedblog favorite Billy the potential favor of driving the Toast to the game. Hopefully I'll be able to control myself so he's not needed in that way and can focus on getting himself and Rage Kage around, but he said he would answer the call if needed. That's my Billy!!!

Finally, we have a quick update on the Toastedblog quest to regain musical edge. I made a mix cd at Chucks last week that was loaded with hits from the 80's and random light poppy music such as the Talking Heads, Liz Phair, Franz Ferdinand, Velvet Underground, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, David Bowie, and the Clash. That gets a Grade D- in edge, but Grade A in overall listen to ability. Following that mix, another was produced on Friday night with the help of Chuck's friend Goldie, Chuck himself, and alcohol. We got some rockin in there with the likes of Nine Inch Nails, Helmet, Chevelle, old school GNR, Rage, Audioslave, the Hives, Filter, and naturally some Pearl Jam, amongst others. We also have received a rather noble gift of a stack of Chuck's Mixes, Vol. 1 through....all of them I think. There literally is a stack of 50 mix cds that Chuck no longer has use for. I have brought a large portion to work and are currently sitting next to me. As we you are reading this, no wait, as I typed this listening to Shallow be thy Game by the Chili Peppers. Good times, good times. Also, Billy has made me a few "classy rap" mixes that I have listened to a little (I only got them last night). I only have a brief history with them but Bill, I think you hit the nail on the head. More information as it arrives.

I'm outie 5,000!!

No comments: